Unitas Privacy Statement September 2020
HOW WE STORE AND USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
PRIVACY NOTICE FOR ALL STUDENTS
Unitas is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal data. This
document outlines how we collect and use information about you.
- Used lawfully, fairly, and in a transparent way;
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you, and not-used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes;
- Relevant to the purposes that we have told you about, and limited to those purposes only;
- Accurate and up to date;
- Kept only for as long as necessary for the purposes that we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
Unitas is a “data controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. We do not share your information without consent unless the law allow us to do so. Your information will not be transferred or stored outside the EU.
Unitas will create a record in your name and we may use the information you provide in this form to contact you, offer services or carry out research to help us plan and improve our services.
Your details provided on our records will not be passed to other organisations for marketing purposes by Unitas.
WHAT SORT OF DATA DO WE HOLD?
The type of information that we collect, process, hold, and share include:
• Personal information which could identify you (such as name, DOB, address and contact information, and unique identifier numbers).
• Characteristics (such as ethnicity, gender, and declared disabilities)
THE LAWFUL BASIS ON WHICH WE USE THIS INFORMATION
We will only use your personal information when the law allows it to do so. We will only use personal information for the purposes for which we collected it.
HOW WE KEEP YOUR DATA SAFE, AND HOW LONG WE KEEP IT FOR
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to people who have a business need to see it.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH
Unitas will share personal information as required by University of Suffolk and Skills for Justice Awards (accrediting bodies.) By providing this information you are giving us your consent to use your details in this way.
REQUESTING ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to the information that we hold on you. To make a request contact [email protected]
You also have the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for direct marketing (we do not do this – but we may contact you with information relevant to the service we are providing)
- in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed;
If you would like further information about this privacy notice, or how we handle your personal information, please do not hesitate to contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO)
Jayne Cowley at [email protected]
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with our DPO in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/